The Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI) at the National University of Singapore is seeking a Research Assistant to join our multidisciplinary team. Ideal candidates should have experience in oceanography, environmental sensing, or marine biology and ecology research in Southeast Asia. Applicants with a keen interest in education, outreach and project management assistance are encouraged to apply. You will work closely with a team of researchers and involve different stakeholders, including business partners and members of the public. Your ability to work and communicate effectively across multiple domains will be essential for this project.
Roles and responsibilities
- Data and information review, content development for training workshops, awareness materials, etc.
- Organize workshops and carry out awareness-raising actions
- Participate in various administrative tasks, including the preparation of documents
- Interface with the various project teams to gather and present information
- Collect feedback from key stakeholders
- Assistance in writing scientific publications
- Assist in creating and compiling various scientific data and documentary records
- Participate in aquarium-related duties at the Saint-Jean Island National Marine Laboratory (SJINML) and the handling and processing of marine and seawater samples
- Bachelor’s degree or above (preferably with background in environmental science, marine science or ecology)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a positive work attitude
- Possess a strong sense of initiative and proactivity
- Responsive and adaptive to changes
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Efficient at researching online and familiar with scientific terms
- Must be able to multi-task, and be organized and meticulous under tight deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, Photoshop or image editing software
- Previous experience in event organization and/or education/outreach experience would be an advantage
- Previous experience working in the Singapore marine environment, including knowledge of marine detection technologies is preferred
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students is one of our top priorities, and the COVID vaccination supports our commitment to keeping our community safe and making NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. . Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interaction with students/staff/audience members. Even for professional roles that can be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence will be required.
Considering the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone on campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to gain successful employment with NUS .