Columbia Community Service (CCS) began in 1946, when a small group of female faculty and civically engaged women sent a letter to all Columbia faculty and staff requesting contributions from social service organizations and to charities that helped families and communities overcome the challenges of the post-WWII era.
CCS’s work continues and today the Presidents of Columbia, Barnard and Teachers College sent a message to the university community announcing the launch of the 75th Annual Appeal, which once again encourages the thousands of employees and retirees. of Columbia to donate to Columbia. Public Service.
At the end of the last fundraising campaign, the CCS donated $ 300,000 in grants to 52 local organizations. The funds went directly to groups providing meals as well as health and social services to the elderly and others in need. They also took literacy programs and other educational supports from Kindergarten to Grade 12, with an emphasis on STEM and the arts. Thanks to the generosity of donors, the CCS Food Relief Project provided an additional $ 83,000 to organizations fighting food insecurity.
Visit the Columbia Community Service website to learn more about their work in Harlem and Morningside Heights.